Can you guess what is the key ingredient of this torte? Hint : it's not chocolate and it's not hazelnuts.
Yes, it's avocado! The result is pretty impressive, the texture of the avocado mixed to cocoa powder is velvety and yo wouldn't guess it's in it.
I found the recipe in a magazine, but it comes from Jessica Nadel's last cookbook Greens 24/7.
All the ingredients are nutritious and simple : avocados, hazelnuts, Medjool dates, cocoa powder and maple syrup.
Ingredients for a 9 inches tart pan :
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon hazelnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 large avocados peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. On a baking sheet toast 1 cup hazelnuts for 10 minutes. Let cool then wrap in a clean tea towel folded over and rub off the skins.
2. For the crust : in a food processor pulse nuts with dates and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Do it until you obtain a sticky mixture. Add water if necessary. Press the mixture down in the tart pan with a removable base.
3. For the top : in a food processor been the remaining cocoa powder, avocado and maple syrup until velvety. Spoon into the crust.
4. You can drizzle melt chocolate on top and chop remaining hazelnuts. Refrigerate for 1 hour.